I have been gifted with a Barnes and Noble gift card.
I don't like Barnes and Noble very much, I really prefer the smaller independent sellers like Secret Garden Books, Epilogue Books and even Powell's if I need a big online catalog. But, I have a gift card, and there's no way I can resist a chance to get some books. I'm addicted to books, see...
So, I'm poking around the Barnes and Noble site for WAY too long, trying to decide what to buy. If it's a book that I know Secret Garden has, I have to wait and get it there. It's this neighborhood ethical thing I am cursed with. But, I come across this book, which I've never seen before, and the title just SINGS to me: Prayer Shawl Ministry by Leisure Arts. (Yes, I linked it to Powell's, not B&N, I confess.) So, I found not a lot of information about what this book really is, and I decided to use the power of google to figure out what it was all about.
This is when I came across www.shawlministry.com
Quoted from the web site:
"Whether they are called: "Prayer Shawls", "Comfort Shawls", "Peace Shawls" or "Mantles" just to name a few; the knitter begins each shawl with prayers and blessings for the recipient. Intentions are continued throughout the creation of the shawl. When the shawl is completed it is offered a final ritual before being sent along its way. Some recipients have continued the kindness by making one themselves and passing it onto someone in need. Thus, the blessing is rippled from person to person..."
I think that this is just beautiful. The web site includes a free pattern, tips, symbolism information and a gallery. It does not seem to be religion-specific, although there is talk of prayer and it seems a lot of the suggested prayers are Christian based, so if that kind of stuff makes you queasy, make up your own "prayers" instead.
At the bottom of the page, I found my information about the book by Leisure Arts. It is not affiliated with this web site at all, and the owners of this site take some offense that someone is profiting from a project that is supposed to be given freely to the world. I think I'll pass on the book, and research these prayer shawls a little more on the web first. www.shawlministry.com has a simple pattern that even I can follow, and it's freely given. There are also links to alternative patterns, and ideas on who to make shawls for if you are lucky enough to not know anyone in need of some blessings.
I thought I'd pass it in on to anyone who happens to read my blog. I'm really interested in combining my own strange spirituality with art, and I think that this idea is going to brew in my own brain and maybe something new will come out of it.
What about prayer shawls for a tree, or a hurting location, or to heal after an event? Shawls could be wrapped around a place that needs to be cleansed, or left where the wind can blow it, prayer-flag style, and send your prayers out into the world. Certain materials are biodegradable, so prayer shawls could be set free without worrying about hurting the planet. Hmm. Things to think about.
Monday, December 26, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment