Monday, October 24, 2005

big business news...

Hello.

I have some Big News to tell you about. We’ve not been sure how to announce this, because whatever we decided to do was going to be difficult to not only decide, but also tell folks about. This is a good decision for us, though. We are happy with it. Happy AND sad (or happysad as my friend Maggie used to say…) I felt like I should post about this here, too, because I know that a few of our customers actually read my boring blog, too! Heh.

After 6 1/2 years of having a shop in Ballard, we are closing the Turtle Press Studio & Store. We will still be able to bring you all the creativity you need, through our web site (http://www.turtlearts.com). We'll also have a smaller Outpost that will be open by appointment, or for "will call" pickups for orders you place by phone or through the web site. So, we'll definitely still be around. We just won't have the store part of our business anymore. Feel free to call, email, or stop us on the street if you need anything from us.

Why are we doing this? I know that if you're like me, you maybe smell gossip and want to know. :) Well, there are quite a few reasons, and if you ask, on any given day or hour I might tell you a different reason, but the main one is that our lease is up on our space, and we are unwilling to go along with the insanity of raising rents for storefront spaces right now. That's not to say that we'll never have a storefront again. But, for now, we're going to focus on the mail order side of the business, on selling to other stores, and on our magazine. We have plans for other projects in the works, too, so stay tuned.

So, we're consolidating some of our offerings quite a bit, and expanding some a whole lot too. We'll still be offering, in our Outpost or through mail order all of our own products, such as alphabet rubber stamps, collage supplies, recycled paper products, Tree Hugger blank books, a selection of environmentally friendly art supplies, and other treats. Other stuff we're going to be clearing out, and we'll be able to give you some great deals this month on art supplies, rubber stamps and supplies, books, markers, and some surprises. Our last day open will be November 23rd (or so).

It’s been wonderful to have met so many of you through our storefront, and we hope that we’ll still be able to see you around Ballard or in the mail. It is bittersweet to close the store and turn over a new leaf in our business. Remember that we’ll still be around, online or at our Outpost. We’ll put details of our Outpost up on our web site as soon as it’s ready. And, we’ll be happy to meet you at the Outpost whenever you’re visiting Ballard and need a Turtle Press Fix.

For now, we hope we’ll see you at our moving sale. Everything in our store will be 10-70% off, with new and different sales every day. Stop by and stock up!

It’s been an honor serving you, Turtle Press Friends. :)

I'll always be here, too, if you need me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well congrats, I am happysad for you and for me! I wanted to have a chance to see the store... maybe this means you'll have more time for fun side-projects, or to show me around when I finally make it up to seattle for a visit. :)
melanie

Big Sis said...

Yes, for sure! At least around Ballard. I was never able to leave the store during the daylight hours, but this way we can go to Archie McPhee together.:)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations guys!! I LOVED your store, but only got to visit the one time (last year afer art-fest).

Wishing you lots of time to do art, rest, work on that fab zine of yours, and just enjoy life.

take care,
xoxs
Carla