Tuesday, July 26, 2005

OK, I'll confess

I'm confessing right now. I'm behind on a lot of things that I need to not be behind on. I'm trying really hard to get caught up. But "caught up" is a deliciously ambiguous phrase, isn't it? So is "make time." You think you're so busy that you don't have time for anything, but then the world throws even more at you, and you realize that you had TONS of time before, but NOW, well, now you don't have enough time. And sometime in the future you realize you have even less time to do more things.

Time, yeah, that's a weird word too.

It's taken me 60 seconds to write this. I obviously should have been working on one of the five hundred things I need to not be behind on. Whatever is the immediate crisis gets first billing in the time wars, of course, but somehow, lately, no matter how much I work - 12, 14, 15, 16 or more hours a day - I still end up freaked out at midnight because I haven't gotten everything done that I need to.

I'm not talking SHOULD, here. We're long past just letting the unnecessary things go because I can get to them "later." We're talking necessary things, that aren't getting done by midnight.

It's a horrible dilemma, because time also equals money, or so my grandpa always said. If he was still alive, I'd ask him, do you mean free time, or time you put into things? If it's free time, no wonder I'm broke. If it's time you put into work, well, then, WHY am I broke, anyway?

Too much thinking about it. I've wasted 263 seconds on it already.

No comments: