I guess I haven't posted much about my mom here, and a few people were asking what the heck I was talking about, when I posted that she was sick.
I've always been, well, the Big Sis of the family, and so whining is not my way. Big Sisters take care of everyone, and try to complain very little. Of course, we often end up with lots of problems as a result, but never mind that... we'll get to that someday in between now and my nervous breakdow.
(just kidding, Big Sisters are DEFINITELY not allowed nervous breakdowns!)
Anyway, yes, my mom is very sick. It started several years ago when (possibly) mercury poisoning started to give her parkinson's-like symptoms, and the latest in the adventure is her botched spinal surgery. In between and ongoing are neurological problems, motor problems that are most likely caused by neurological problems, and of course tons of side effects to all of the medications she's on. Anyone out there a neurologist who wants a side project?
Who is Dr. Woo? He is the only doctor who she feels takes care of her. He has an office in Kirkland. He's a naturopath, specializing in accupuncture. Really, he's the only doctor that never pushed her off onto another doctor when he was stumped, and he is SO nice to her that I think he must be a saint. The medical doctors don't seem to be doing much for her, and can't even agree on what's wrong with her, but Dr. Woo just keeps on helping her, like the guardian angel that he is.
Helping mom as much as I'd like is very difficult, since I work so many hours. I do what I can, but the guilt of this recovering Catholic follows me around whenever I'm not helping... and even when I am helping, but my heart isn't in it.
So, there's the bare-bones of it. I've done a comic zine called dealing with mom, that explains a lot of the mercury poisoning and other misc. stuff, including lots of family that will embarrass anyone who's related to me. For sale or trade.
Wednesday, May 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm sorry to hear about your mom. My mom is sick too. She has polymyositis, a rare muscle disease. She is wheel-chair bound now. She and I used to do the art and stamp shows together. Now she only really gets out when I take her out, and when I do it is such a workout with the wheelchair and lugging her in and out. I feel guilty for not going over often enough, and guilty about my impending move, and for not helping her enough. She keeps a pretty good attitude, and my sister and dad are living with her, so she has help. But we've always been close. The guilt weighs heavy. :/
m.
Yes, I don't know if I'd be able to move, although Scott and I do talk about where we want to live when we're done with Seattle. Alaska? San Fran? Australia? The guilt of going that far away might be just too much for me.
I have a friend that I joke with about guilt. The most horrible guilt is the guilt you feel for not feeling guilty enough! REALLY. We really need to learn to take care of ourselves, too.
Melanie, I'm sending you some zines that will explain lots, as soon as I find an envelope around here.
Post a Comment