Saturday, December 22, 2007

Bus Stops I Have Known -- Bus Stop #8



MLK Way and Rainier Ave, South Seattle

I'm a little behind in my bus stop postings, because I was pretty sick this week. So, this bus stop was actually visited a couple of weeks ago.

Overall Bus Stop Ratings (out of 5 stars)

***** User Friendliness. Look at those shelters! Look at the bus stop sign, clearly marked, with schedules! Look, a trash can, newspaper stands, benches! Yes, it looks pretty nice... at first.

**** Interest of Surroundings. This bus stop is very close to a high school, so usually there are a few kids waiting for the bus. Highschool kids are always interesting and amazing to me. They can text message without looking, while talking to another friend and also listening to their ipod. Such multitasking! Plus, I love their dramas, which they are usually very vocal about. They also lack subtleness. Someone is their worst enemy forever or their soulmate. Not a lot of gray areas of friendship in between.

* Architecture of Surroundings. Actually, pretty boring.

*** Personal Safety. It seems pretty safe... at first. But then, a woman was sitting inside the bus shelter, and started yelling at me because where I was standing was blocking her view of... something. The street? Her anger at me degraded into an anger at society in general, which is being corrupted by the government. The president is listening to every conversation through traffic lights. When the light is red, the recorder goes on, and it picks up conversations up to 100 feet away. They also have conversation recorders in cigarettes, so a smoking teenager was her next target of verbal abuse. Luckily for teenager, he casually walked away before she could stand up and get physical. But I wonder if the cigarette recorders have the same range? I'm sure he wasn't 100 feet away from her.

****Creepy Factor. I'm giving it four stars for creepiness, because of the hidden dangers of the wild woman sitting inside the bus shelter. Also, because the whole visit left me thinking about how much work it must be to listen to all of the conversations all over the country happening at red lights. Maybe the president is working harder than we think, if he has to listen to all of that? Wow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe he IS. (Listening to all the conversations within 100 feet of all the traffic lights.)
Could that be his excuse?

Janey
janeyknitting AT yahoo DOT ca