Saturday, December 20, 2008

gifts

I'm behind in posting about my 29 Day Gift Challenge but I have been keeping a notebook offline, so I have a record of my challenge. But what I hadn't realized is that I reached Day 29!

I'm going to keep going. Yup.

My gift for Day 29, which was last Wednesday, was a bit insane, for sure. For work, one of my duties right now is getting holiday gifts out to our clients. These are folks who are isolated, may not be getting anything from anyone, and many times don't even see anyone on a regular basis. My job is to try to find and match them up with volunteers to provide company and support, help with staying in their own homes full of memories, and staying safe in their own homes. But I have many, many seniors on my waiting list, waiting for a volunteer. So, I decided on Wednesday that I'd visit a few of them and bring them some presents that were donated to our program.

The first part of my insanity was that it was supposed to snow, but it was nice out and I didn't believe it. So I headed on the bus to Burien. Of course, as I'm getting to my first destination, it starts to snow, a wet, cold, gross snow. It's still slushy and icy from snow a few days ago, so I slipped and waddled up a hill to the first woman's house. She didn't want to come to door, and I heard her bumping around and peeking at me through her blinds. Finally she opened the door to me, and I introduced myself. She didn't know who I was at first, even though we've talked on the phone a few times, even a few days ago. She relaxed enough to take the gift though... but she was obviously nervous to invite me in. So I shuffled back to the bus stop for stop number 2.

Snow, snow, snow. I waited for the bus for a long time, and was rewarded by its crazy painful warmth inside when finally it came. My feet were getting damp. I was thinking that this really was a dumb idea. Snow was starting to stick and it was getting dark. But I made it to my 2nd stop. Nobody was home. Argh!

I left her gift on her front door with a note and left to get to my 3rd stop, where I was supposed to have been an hour earlier.

Well, this time I was really dumb, and got on the bus going the wrong direction. When I realized my mistake, I got off of the bus, went across the street, and waited. And waited. And waited. No bus.

I was getting pretty freaked out and cold by now, and it was really starting to be very dark. Cars were sliding around and it was a mess. I called Scott, and he got online to find out the bus situation, but obviously there was no schedule to the busses any more. So I decided that it really was time to give up for the night and head home. I walked across the street again, where busses were headed in the general direction of Seattle. And I waited.

And waited. And waited.

I got really, dangerously cold. I know it was dumb to stand there, but there was nowhere to go even to get inside and warm up. Not even a 7-11! Cars went by, but now busses. My feet started to get really cold. My hands started to get numb. I danced around trying to keep warm, but it was no use. I felt really stupid being so cold and unprepared, even though I WAS wearing wool socks and had a scarf and a hat and even one glove. (Where was the other glove? I still don't know.)

Well, obviously I lived. But only because a wonderful thing happened. A bus pulled up. But it was an offduty bus, and as it let it's last few passengers out, I thought I'd cry if it drove away. I asked the bus driver, are you going downtown?? Well... he said. Well... I guess I can get you to 2nd and Washington.

Dudes. 2nd and Washington is a BLOCK away from where I live. I'd died and gone to heaven. I couldn't say thank you enough, I think I might have embarrassed my favorite bus driver of all time. Yes, Mr. Bus Driver in the black and white ear flap hat, you are my hero. I love love love you. Note, I am married happily, so my love is a platonic, non-creepy, non stalky love. I just love you as a bus driver, so no need to get scared.

My hands finally got some feeling back in them as we drove past Qwest Field, and after getting home I put on every piece of clothing I owned (well, not really), turned the heat up the 80 degrees (really) and soaked as much heat as I could from my poor cat (really, but he volunteered!) and I finally defrosted.

I am so so so thankful to have a warm place to go. I can't imagine being outside in this kind of cold. I feel good to know that we always support the food banks and shelters whenever we have any money to give, and I feel bad that we can't do more.

So really, on my 29th day, I received a gift. Mr. Bus Driver not only got me home, but he reminded me how the little things can make such a huge difference to the people around us. Letting me tag along on his ride back to base wasn't a big deal to HIM, maybe, but it sure was to me. Not only do I love love love HIM, but I'll be defending, to the DEATH, all Metro drivers, who already held the positions of Saints to me, but are now superheros as well.

Mostly I do what I do because it's just what I do. I don't think about whether people are appreciative or if I change their lives or anything. Maybe I do make a difference. I hope so. But I know that there's the possibility that I'll never know for sure. That's OK, I think. I don't need to know about every gift I give, and how meaningful it is to people. I don't need to know if I'm ever superbusdriver to someone. I hope I can be, of course, but letting it go and doing it for what it is, not for rewards or thank yous or anything, is really what it's all about.

1 comment:

dotswood said...

You are truly an amazing gal... taking a bus to give gifts! I have really enjoyed reading your blog. You have been a big inspiration to me.
dot