He's 13 years old, and is still quite active. He's usually a pretty good cat, a sweetie most of the time, UNTIL we try to go to sleep. He'll start by snuggling up to me on the bed (yes, I do allow him on the bed of course) and we fall asleep together, but about three hours later, he'll wake up and start galloping across the bed. He'll jump around and meow and run up and down the hall, then jump back up on the bed, knock things off of the bed side table, run into the living room and knock things down. He'll then run into the bedroom and do a belly flop onto the bed and put his face in our faces... it's almost like he makes a big noise by knocking things down, and has to run in to check and see if we noticed. If that doesn't work, and we refuse to wake up, he'll find plastic bags to chew, or continue to gallop around. To my husband, he'll stand next to his head and then turn around, so he's sticking his rear end in my husband's face!
OK, he wants attention, I think, so I call him over and pet him and love him, but he will only take that for a minute before he runs off again. I've tried feeding him in the middle of the night, tried to make sure he has everything he needs, but still he does this routine. If I do happen to sooth him and he falls asleep next to me again, it all starts over again about an hour later, and continues ever hour or two for the rest of the night.
I'm really suffering from lack of sleep. I've tried to give him extra love in the evenings, feeding him late, even giving him cat nip. We've been to the vet recently, and the vet said he was healthy. I can't think of any changes that we've made to upset the cat.
Sometimes, my insomnia hits after he's woken up up a few times, and I'll get up to read or something, then the cat is suddenly missing. Where did he go? I finally find him curled up on my spot on the bed?!!
Any ideas to get the baby/cat to stay asleep for the night, or at least let ME sleep?
Maybe he's mad at me for something. But sheesh. I'm such a good cat mom, I can't figure out why.
See how sweet he usually is? He even allowed me to put a "scarf" on him:

1 comment:
I really feel for you! Our older kitty is quirky too. She is a big talker. She has food on demand so eating isn't an issue for her in the middle of the night. Most mornings around 4am she is nibbling on her food. When it is light out she knows we need to be up SO she'll talk until we can't stand it any more...we'll get up and then she's fine. Maybe your Hilton just wanted your spot in the bed!
Take care, dot
Post a Comment