I'm interrupting my blog silence to worry and warn you all about a nasty: Triclosan.
Here's something else to be worried about: Triclosan is a chemical that seems great. It's the anti microbial chemical that's added to handsoap to make it antibacterial. No need to wash those hands while you sing your ABCs anymore, just swish and your germs are dead, dead, dead. It's cool, really, we can get rid of nasty germs without even trying hard. There are antibacterial wipes, sprays, (available in many sizes from miniature backpack sized sprays packaged like party favors, to an industrial sized jug for the sofa, where that wretched dog drooled. Over and over again, we're told that GERMS MUST DIE. I recently even saw antibacterial pens and a clipboard at the office supply store.
This cute little chemical triclosan, however, is part of the reason that there are, well, antibacteral-resistant bacteria. Too much antimacrobialness, and the bacterias get smart. Plus, triclosan apparently can cause other problems too. It's a pesticide according to the FDA, and can cause liver toxicity, breathing problems, and can disrupt thyroid functions. When it goes down the drain, it's too prolific to be filtered out by wastewater treatment, so some comes back to us either in our drinking water, or it heads out to see where it's very toxic to sealife.
OK, fine, let's not have any antibacterial stuff around, you say. After all, the FDA says washing your hands with plain soap and water is just fine. Great. But guess what? Triclosan isn't just for breakfast anymore--it's also being added to dish sponges, toothbrushes, toys and cutting boards, mattresses, shower curtains, even telephones. Chapstick, deodorant, socks, mops--everything that you might be convinced will help you keep that oh-so-fresh-feeling.
The reason I started to research triclosan is because I saw something about kitchen sponges containing this nasty little chemical. You know that sponge smell that wafts up from a freshly opened green and yellow scrubby sponge? Apparently that's the triclosan. Hmm. I've been conditioned to think that's a healthy CLEAN smell. Who knew that a sponge could be aiding and abetting a chemical that could be causing liver damage?
So, be careful out there, guys. The world is a dangerous place.
Wednesday, October 01, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention... I had never heard of it. Now it will be hard to know what to use!! dot
I'm started making handmade scrubbie sponge-like things out of acrylic yarn and crochet. So far the one I've tried out has worked out OK. It actually does clean quite well. Plus, it's skull shaped, Which I find to be quite cool. Between that and a scrubbing brush, maybe I can wean myself from those yellow and green sponges.
Post a Comment