Of course, I know what I WANT to do. I want to make art and write and make magazines and books and zines and all that… but as us annoying grown ups know, there’s want and need. It’s nice to have money to pay the rent, it’s nice to have fancy luxuries like health insurance and other benefits. And, it’s nice to be able to depend on these things as just being There. I need a place to live and because of my health, I need medical insurance.
Right now, I do have the health insurance, but the money is supertight. Which is fine. Part of the reason I wanted to do Americorps is because I was going to learn new things, plus I really embraced the idea of service to the community in a way that I wouldn’t have been able to do without the support of my Americorps program. So, as I think I’ve written here before, the payment goes so far beyond money. I’ve learned so much. I’ve encountered so many people, and hopefully helped them. Wait, no, I KNOW I’ve helped them. They say so.
BUT. My transition is coming up and I have to decide what to do next.
I think that beyond the art and writing and zines and little curiosities, I’d like to get more involved in tenant rights. There, I said it out loud. Well, wrote it out loud, anyway. The amount of turmoil that people have to go through in dealing with their landlords and rental situations is just appalling. I hear about it every day at my current job, and want to be able to do so much more to help them. My current position only lets me go so far, though…
Dear universe, please help me find a job in tenant rights. Thank you, love Kerrie.

2 comments:
Dear Universe,
Please help Kerrie find a job in tenant rights that pays well and gives her good health insurance.
thanks!
Auntly H
wow - this is something I've always thought was necessary! As a renter my entire adult life (I'm now 48) - I will ask the universe to send something to assist you on your way to this goal. Half of getting what you want is asking for it!~ yea for you! Jamie in MT...
Post a Comment