Monday, September 26, 2005

I shouldn't soapbox at midnight...

We were just able to donate some money to Pasado's Safe Haven, to help with all of their amazingly GOOD work, including some fantastic rescue work right now in New Orleans. Thank you to the people who bought stuff at our store on hurrican relief Tuesday (September 20th), because we gave 10% of our sales that day to the Red Cross and Pasado's Safe Haven. We have a collection can at our cash register, too, for loose change, which we matched donationwise. We don't have much cash right now, but we felt like it was so important to give what we could.

Another thing I've been trying to do even more than usual is support the small guys. Small businesses are always good to support ANYTIME, not just when so many are struggling. You never know when your tiny order might make all the difference in the world to a small, small biz. That microbiz may have been hit by a hurricane-level disaster, or the owner may have been sick and unable to work, or they may just be struggling because of bigger things, like the world economy.

Yeah, I have a small biz, so I'm biased. I can personally promise you that a $5 or even $2 purchase does make a difference, though. So tomorrow, instead of hitting the coffee shop whose name rhymes with "Megabucks," try the small coffee shop on the corner. Instead of going to one of the fast food restaurants that can be recognised just by the giant glowing yellow first initial of their name, try the deli down the street. And, even if you've always, always bought a "Joke" Cola (and I love it too, especially the diet cherry cola...), give a local juice company a chance. You get the idea. Put your dollars to work to support the little businesses that you really like.

There, sorry, soapboxing over. I think I need some sleep.

No comments: