Friday, March 18, 2005

Air America Radio | America's Progressive Talk Radio Network

My letter to Jim Trapp, program director at AM1090, Air America's local station. If you like Unfiltered on Air America, and you live around Seattle, you should write to him too.

Jim Trapp
Program Director
AM1090
1000 Dexter Ave. North Suite 100
Seattle, WA 98109

Dear Mr. Trapp,

I have been listening to AM1090 since November 2004, when I happily discovered your station. I was so delighted to find it. I can listen to every Air America show, even in the “best of” reruns, and enjoy it more than my other favorite radio station, NPR. I liked AM1090 so much that I have been going out of my way to patronize advertisers (except Sam’s Club, which I don’t think is a good advertiser match, but that’s the subject for another letter).

However, this week, you have stopped playing one of my favorite shows, Unfiltered. In its place you have scheduled Morning Sedition, which is frankly my least favorite Air America show. First I thought that this was just a week of vacation for the show, but then I went to the Air America web site and I see that I’ve missed several extremely interesting guests and segments this week, and that in fact you have cut this show from your programming entirely.

I’m so very disappointed in you for doing this. Unfiltered is a great show. I am apparently a born-again liberal, pushed to being a liberal by the Right-wing conservatives moving more and more to the Right. I really enjoy learning so much from the segments on Unfiltered. Oftentimes, the show is more liberal than I am, even, but I actually like that. I am interested in learning about views and opinions that don’t always come naturally to me. I can’t see any reason why you would censor it by taking it off the air.

I hate to be the kind of person who says, bring Unfiltered back or I’ll stop listening, but it’s true. While Morning Sedition is a good show, too, I don’t want to wake up to it when my alarm goes off at 6:30am. If Unfiltered doesn’t come back, I’ll probably have to switch back to NPR.

Thank you for your time and consideration of my opinions.

No comments: