Maybe I can argue that this isn't exactly whining, more complaining actually. Specifically, complaining about people who deserve to be complained about. Mean People.
Remember those bumper stickers that say, "Mean People Suck" that you used to be able to see everywhere? Well, they tell the truth. Mean people DO suck.
Myself, I try to be a good person. I hold doors open for people who have their hands full or are trying to push a stroller. One time I found a stranger's card in the cash machine, and the screen was flashing, "would you like another transaction?" I passed the Great Karmic Cash Machine Test, and pushed the cancel button, I'm proud to say. (Later, I thought, "Wow! That must have been some kind of karmic test...") I work hard. I smile at strangers. I am kind to crazy people who want to talk to me about the organic eggplants in the grocery store.
I try to be nice, really.
I could be a better person, I know it, but I think I get an A for effort. I don't think I have ever intentionally hurt someone.
But I'm not self rightous about it. I know that there are mean people out there, and I try not to hold it against them. Their meanness shouldn't really effect me, right? Sure, if I see them being mean, I get hurt, either for myself for for someone else, but I have learned to not let them know that they're getting to me. If you let them KNOW, it gives their meanness more power than it should have, see?
However, it's true that I'm a human being. Meanies make me feel sad. Worst of all, because I am NICE, it seems that some people don't even think twice about being mean to me. It's not like I'm going to punch them in the nose or anything, after all.
So, how do you be nice, and yet not be a mean-magnet?
If you're reading this, you're not one of "those people," of course. You're my pal, and pals are kind to one another. Those people wouldn't care to read about how I'm human. They only want to complain and be, well, MEAN. But, of course, they want people to be nice to them back. Not punch them in the nose.
I guess us nice people should come up with a secret code. Instead of actually punching them in the noses, let's say, "you're the kind of person who makes me crave bubble gum."
I have a whole pack of good bubble gum here, and am happy to share.
Friday, January 07, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment